What does collagen do for you?
Now that you understand what collagen supplements are, let’s discuss all the benefits of using them to boost your body’s production of collagen.
- Youthful, radiant skin: Women have been using gelatin for centuries to help keep their skin smooth. Collagen is like Mother Nature’s Botox, erasing wrinkles and reversing sagging and stretch marks. Stronger skin also means less cellulite.
In these two double-blind, placebo-controlled studies, researchers found 8 weeks of collagen peptide supplementation lead to a 12% increase in skin moisture, a 9% increase in collagen density, and a 31.2% reduction in collagen fragmentation when compared to the placebo group.
- Healthy hair and nails. Collagen peptides contain specific amino acids (proline and cysteine) that are used to synthesize the major structural component of your hair and nails, known as keratin.
One group of researchers conducted two experiments to see if gelatin affected hair. They reported, “The most dramatic effect of supplementing the normal diet with 14 grams of gelatin daily was an increase in hair diameter averaging 9.3% in the first study and 11.3% in the second study. Approximately 70% percent of the subjects in both studies showed increases in hair diameter ranging from 5% to 45%.”
In this study, women taking collagen peptides for a period of 4 weeks experienced a 12% increase in nail growth and a 42% decrease in nail breakage. In addition, 80% of study participants reported an improvement in the appearance of their nails.
Thus, instead of spending your money on fancy skin serums, conditioners, and nail treatments, give your body what it really needs–more collagen.
- Fight inflammation: Glycine, an abundant amino acid in both gelatin and hydrolyzed collagen, has been shown to reduce local and systemic inflammation. This is important because inflammation is linked to every modern disease and you can’t lose weight if your body is inflamed. Lowering inflammation also reduces symptoms of autoimmune disorders, which is why my patients with arthritis, celiac disease, and psoriasis swear by the healing powers of collagen.
- Ease joint pain: When people try my 21-Day Bone Broth Diet, so many rave about their hip pain vanishing, or their arthritis improving (like being able to make a fist again!), or being able to bend their knee without pain. That’s because my Bone Broth Diet is filled with collagen boosting foods (like bone broth, of course!).
In this randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study, athletes with joint pain experienced a significant reduction in pain (assessed by a physician) after 24 weeks of supplementation with hydrolyzed collagen as compared to the placebo group.
- Heal wounds and fractures…faster: Remember how I mentioned collagen is like the glue holding your skin together? Well, if you have more “glue” in your skin, a hole will repair faster. And because your skin is stronger, cuts may not be as long or deep.
- Heal your gut: Researchers speculate that glycine stabilizes your gut mucosa by decreasing damage from excess acid or increasing protective mechanisms such as gastric mucosal blood flow. Studies also reveal that glycine specifically heals and protects the gut via its anti-inflammatory, immune regulatory, and cell-protective activities.