California Orange Tarragon Salad
* Paleo & Primal Approved This is one of my all-time favorite salads because it’s not only wildly delicious, but also incredibly refreshing. With oranges and avocados growing throughout Southern California, this salad reminds me of one of my favorite places. I particularly like to make this when really sweet oranges like Cara Cara’s or Red Navels are in season. If your oranges seem a little tart, add a teaspoon of honey to the dressing.
Prep time: 10 min • Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 head Romaine or Bibb lettuce (about 4 cups), washed and cut or torn
- 1 cup arugula
- ½ large English cucumber or 2 - 3 Persian cucumbers (mini), sliced into rounds
- 3 oranges, cut into rounds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into ½-inch diagonal slices
- ½ cup sugar snap peas or snow peas, strings removed
- ¼ cup jicama, cut into matchstick slices
- ½ cup roasted cashews or pistachios
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice, about 1 large orange
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, diced or 1 teaspoons dried
- Dash nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. It’s especially good if made ahead so the flavors can meld.