Orange Shrimp with Beef and Broccoli
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 10 min • Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, optional
- 3 oranges
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¾ pound beef sirloin, trimmed and sliced against the grain into ⅛-inch thick slice
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled, deveined, and halved
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the sesame seeds and stir constantly until they’re lightly toasted, about 3 or 5 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve for later.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel wide strips of zest from half of one of the oranges. Cut the zest into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from all the oranges into a small bowl; you should have about 3/4 cup. Add coconut aminos and rice vinegar; stir to combine.
- In another small bowl, mix the arrowroot powder with 2 tablespoons of water to form a paste; whisk into the orange juice and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon coconut oil in the pan over high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes. Add beef, shrimp, and onion. Stir-fry until the beef is no longer pink on the outside, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons coconut oil to the pan and heat until very hot. Add garlic, ginger, cayenne, and reserved orange zest. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broccoli, red pepper, and water. Cover and steam, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Whisk the stir-fry sauce and pour into the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add broccoli, peppers, shrimp and beef, stirring to coat with the sauce. Remove from heat and sprinkle with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.