Orange and Sweet Cream Gelatin Dessert
*Paleo & Primal Approved
Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 6 min • Yield: 6 to 8 servings
For the orange gelatin layer
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons pasture-raised beef gelatin, i.e. Great Lakes Gelatin
- ½ cup cold water or cold orange juice, unsweetened (to soften the gelatin)
- 3 cups orange juice, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 to 4 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar (Note: coconut sugar will significantly darken the orange juice)
- ½ teaspoon pure orange extract (optional; will enhance the orange flavor)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pasture-raised beef gelatin, i.e. Great Lakes Gelatin
- ½ cup cold water or cold full-fat coconut milk (to soften the gelatin)
- 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Add the gelatin to the ½ cup cold water or orange juice to soften.
- Bring 3 cups orange juice and lemon juice to a boil and pour over the gelatin. Optionally add orange extract.
- Stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Add honey/maple syrup/coconut sugar to taste.
- Divide gelatin mixture into 6 to 8 dessert cups. Refrigerate until partially set.
- Add the gelatin to the ½ cup cold water or coconut milk to soften. Bring 1 ½ cups coconut milk to a boil and pour over the gelatin. Add vanilla extract.
- Stir until the gelatin is fully dissolved. Add maple syrup to taste. Refrigerate for about 30 – 45 minutes until chilled but not fully set.
- Remove orange cups from refrigerator and top with coconut cream mixture. Refrigerate until coconut mixture has fully gelled, 2 to 3 hours. Serve cold. You can also make this in a one-quart mold or in a serving bowl if you prefer.
- If you want a pretty parfait, layer the orange and coconut cream when cooled but not fully set into parfait glasses, and refrigerate until fully chilled.