Thai Sweet Potato Soup
Craving a little spice? Try this warm and delicious soup, bursting with flavor from Thai red curry paste. You'll throw out all the sweet potato soup recipes you have in your cookbooks! Bone broth makes this soup healthier and more nutrient-dense.
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 40 min | Servings: 5 - 6Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled grated
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (to taste)
- 1 quart (4 cups) chicken bone broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 14-ounce full fat can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cilantro, stems removed, coarsely chopped, divided
- 1 small-medium jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced, for garnish, optional
In a stockpot over medium high heat, add ghee/coconut oil and sauté the onions for about 4 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another 2 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste, bone broth, and lemongrass, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
Remove lemongrass and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to stock pot if blender or food processor was used, stir in coconut milk, season with salt and pepper, and warm through. Add half of the cilantro and save the rest for garnish. Taste to determine if you want to add more red curry. Add by the teaspoonful until you get the desired spiciness.