Butternut Squash Soup
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 1 hr • Yield: 6 servings
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6-8 oz. bacon, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small apple, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- Fresh Italian parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 350℉.
Toss squash and carrots with coconut oil and arrange in a baking dish. Roast uncovered for 35 minutes or until tender.
In a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside for soup garnish.
Add the onion and apple to the dutch oven and sauté in bacon fat over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash, carrots, chicken broth, and coconut milk, and bring to a boil, stirring often. Remove from heat.
Working in several small batches, blend soup with an immersion blender, in a food processor or blender until smooth. (If using a blender or food processor, be sure to use small batches to avoid a mess!)
Return to pot, bring to a simmer, and season with salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Garnish with bacon and serve soup in large bowls.