Caramelized French Onion Dip
This recipe combines a light, tangy base, golden and sweet caramelized onions, and lots of freshly chopped herbs for a powerful (and flavorful) punch — without any of the preservatives, coloring, or fillers.
Plus, it features my French Onion Bone Broth, so there’s a little bit of gut love in each bite!
Just don’t leave it unattended for too long, because this one is going to go quick!
Prep time: 15 minutes • Yield: 4 to 6 servings • Portion: 1 protein, ¼ or less fat
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups paleo plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup paleo mayonnaise
- 1-2 packets French Onion Bone Broth
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 Tbs fresh chives, finely chopped (or 2 tsp of dried chives)
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried parsley)
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Chopped chives and parsley, for garnish (optional)
Add the ghee and onions into a large skillet. Heat on low until the onions are nicely caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place the caramelized onions in a bowl and set aside (or in the refrigerator) to cool completely.
Once the onions are cooled, add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined.
Combine garlic, yogurt, mayo, French Onion Bone Broth powder, nutritional yeast, chives, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and cayenne, and stir until smooth and creamy.
Place into a bowl with caramelized onions and mix well. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
Refrigerate for 1 hour.