Orange, Cranberry & Pecan Coffee Cake
- 8- or 9-inch round cake pan
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (do not use white pith)
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract or ½ teaspoon orange oil (you can use vanilla if you don’t have the orange extract/oil)
- Coconut oil pan spray or 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray pan with coconut oil or brush with melted coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, pecans, and cranberries. In a smaller bowl combine remaining wet ingredients: orange zest, egg, honey, and orange extract and mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well. You may need to knead dough in the bowl a few times to insure all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Turn dough out into prepared pan and spread evenly. Dough will be thick and sticky. Cut dough as you would a pie into 8 evenly-sized slices. This will make it easier to remove from pan when cool.
- Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. When edges and top are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out dry, it is done.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before removing from pan. Rescore the slices with a sharp knife, remove slices with a metal spatula, and serve.