Holiday Cut Out Cookies
Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 5-8 min • Yield: 24 – 32 cookies depending on size of cookie cutters
- 1/3 cup pasture-raised unsalted butter, at room temperature or slightly chilled
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Arrowroot for rolling (optional)
- Whip butter in a stand mixer for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to get fluffy. Add honey and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, and baking soda, and gradually add to wet ingredients to blend.
- Form into 2 balls and wrap in parchment or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line baking sheets with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Remove one ball from refrigerator and roll out to about ¼-inch thick between 2 sheets of parchment or waxed paper. If needed, dust with arrowroot to prevent sticking.
- Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutter, and very gently remove cookies and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes. Allow cookies to fully cool in pan before removing.
- Optionally pipe with Creamy Vanilla Frosting or dust with Unrefined Paleo Powdered Sugar using a fine mesh sieve.
The cookies are somewhat delicate before they are baked. Use a very thin metal spatula to transfer cookies from parchment/waxed paper to baking sheet. In cutting out the cookies, they may remain in the cookie cutter. Gently place them on the baking sheet, by holding the cookie cutter just above the parchment and use your fingertips to very gently release them from the cookie cutter. After every few cookies, wipe the cookie cutter edge to keep it clean and easier to use. It also helps to put arrowroot on a flat plate and tamp the cookie cutter into the arrowroot to make the cookies easier to cut out. Do not remove cookies from the baking sheet until they are fully cooled; they are apt to break if moved while still warm.