Apple Crisp Gone Wild
- 2 ½ pounds of your favorite baking apples, about 7 – 8 cups
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, from about ½ medium orange
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice, from about 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt
- pinch ground ginger
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup nut flour, i.e. almond, hazelnut, whatever you choose
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray an oven-proof casserole or a 9 x 9-inch deep baking dish.
- Peel, core, and cut apples into wedges. Combine the apples with the remaining filling ingredients, and pour into the baking dish.
- To make the topping, combine all topping ingredients in a large bowl and sprinkle over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour or longer until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Check it at 30 minutes; you may need to loosely cover the top with foil so it doesn’t over brown. Serve warm, optionally with caramel sauce.