Broccoli Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 pound fresh broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup fresh blueberries and/or apple
- ⅛ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup hulled sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, toasted
- ¼ cup avocado mayonnaise
- Stevia or monk fruit sweetener equal to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
If blanching broccoli, do that first. Toss all the salad ingredients together in a bowl. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or a jar with a tight fitting lid and whisk or shake well to blend. Pour over the salad and toss.
To blanch: Set a pot of water to boil. Immerse the broccoli florets in the water for 1-2 minutes or until the color heightens to a bright green. Immediately drain and put into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
To toast seeds: Heat a skillet on medium-low heat. Do not add any oil. Add the seeds, stirring or shaking the pan frequently until the seeds become fragrant and lightly browned. Sunflower seeds will brown in about 3 minutes. Pumpkin seeds will take longer, 5-7 minutes. Watch carefully because seeds, like nuts, can burn easily.