Collagen Coffee...Weight Loss Magic
You probably know by now that I’m obsessed with coffee. I start EVERY day with a cup or two. For all the well-known reasons–taste, aroma, energy boost, etc. But also for it’s amazing health benefits. You heard me right! Regular coffee consumption is not only enjoyable, but it’s also good for you. REALLY good for you. And I’ve been sharing this message for quite some time now.
In this article, I discuss a wide range of coffee’s health benefits. And I recently wrote about coffee’s amazing ability to promote healthy skin. But today I’m going to focus on all the ways in which coffee helps you blast fat and lose weight. And how these effects are taken to the next level when you add collagen (another one of my favorites) to the mix.
Antioxidants to the Rescue
Coffee isn’t a big source of protein, fat, or carbs. And its vitamin and mineral content is low, with the exception of vitamin B2. One cup of coffee (8 ounces) provides 11% of the recommended daily intake of this B vitamin. Coffee is also a modest source of two other B vitamins–pantothenic acid and niacin, as well as the minerals potassium, magnesium, and manganese. But while it may lack a heavy dose of vitamins and minerals, coffee is PACKED with antioxidants–mostly in the form of polyphenols.
In fact, per serving, coffee has more antioxidants than most other common fruits and vegetables (except for blueberries). And more than a serving of green tea, black tea, and red wine combined. Now if you’re wondering what makes antioxidants so special, let me explain… In today’s modern world, your body is constantly threatened by free radicals. These pesky molecules cause cellular damage, which speeds up the aging process and causes oxidative stress. Further, oxidative stress is associated with many diseases, including obesity, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer.
While some of these free radicals are natural byproducts of metabolic reactions, many are derived from toxins in processed foods and the environment. However, when your body has an adequate supply of antioxidants, free radicals are neutralized before causing harm.
Antioxidants also assist in reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, which are major drivers of weight gain and obesity. Science has also demonstrated that polyphenols (the antioxidant compounds in coffee) have a preventative effect on all the diseases I mentioned above. They’ve also been shown to have a potent anti-aging effect.
The bottom line is we need antioxidants more now than ever. And coffee is an excellent source!
Caffeine: Friend or Foe?
Caffeine often gets a bad rap. But the truth is, when consumed responsibly, caffeine has a lot to offer. Especially when it comes to weight loss. You see, in order to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you burn. Or burn more calories than you consume. And this is done by reducing your calorie intake (via mini-fasting, of course!) as well as exercising.
Fortunately for all of us, caffeinated coffee is an energy AND mood booster. It hikes your levels of dopamine–one of your “feel good” neurotransmitters. This helps get you going. And makes it easier to attack your workouts with gusto. Caffeine is also ergogenic, which means it enhances your performance, stamina, and recovery. It also keeps your body in a fat burning mode long after your workout.
Here are a few ways in which caffeine works:
- It binds to the same receptors as a chemical known as adenosine. Because adenosine makes you drowsy and plays a role in pain perception, blocking its receptors can make you more alert and reduce sensations of pain.
- It enables your body to switch from sugar burning to fat burning, so your muscles can work longer before they get tired.
- It triggers the release of your “fight or flight” hormones that get your body ready for action.
- It’s thermogenic, which increases heat production and helps you burn more calories.
- Athletes burned 15% more calories after a cycling workout when they took a dose of caffeine before their workouts instead of a placebo.
- Stationary bike riders burned more calories and found working out easier and more fun when they consumed caffeine before exercising, compared to when they took a placebo.
- Men cycled harder after consuming caffeine than they did when they didn’t consume it—yet in both conditions, the men felt like they exerted the same amount of effort.
- Weightlifters did more repetitions after getting a dose of caffeine, and the caffeine reduced their feelings of exertion and pain.
Amazing! That glorious drink that transforms you from a zombie into a human being in the morning can also ramp up the benefits you get from exercise. And while experts used to think that exercise-related benefits diminished over time, new research shows that both coffee newbies and java junkies get the same boost from a pre-workout dose of caffeine.
What else does coffee do for your waistline?
It almost sounds too good to be true, but studies have shown that regular coffee consumption can positively impact satiety. Essentially, it reduces your hunger hormones. So you eat less. And eating less is necessary to lose weight. But wait. It gets even better! Regular coffee consumption increases your metabolic rate and promotes the release of stored body fat. And once these “free” fatty acids are circulating in your bloodstream, the nutrients in coffee also enhance your body’s ability to burn them for energy.
What this means is that your daily cup of joe has the potential to turn your body into a fat burning machine. And we have the antioxidants, caffeine, and indigestible fibers (a.k.a. mannooligosaccharides) found in coffee beans to thank for this marvelous effect. There is even evidence suggesting coffee can help you keep the weight off once it’s gone. Sign me up!
But Don’t Rush to the Coffee Shop Just Yet!
Coffee can help kickstart weight loss. But, and this is a BIG but, all the benefits are diminished if you’re adding sugar, artificial sweeteners (Sweet-N-Low, Splenda, Equal, etc), flavored syrups, and fake creamers to your cup. These ingredients will pack on the pounds. And make it difficult for your to lose weight. Especially if you consume multiple cups a day. If you want a creamy texture, blend your coffee with grass-fed butter, extra virgin coconut oil, or coconut milk. And if you need to sweeten it up, a little bit of raw honey goes a long way.
What Happens When You Add Collagen to the Mix?
Weight loss magic. Seriously! You have the coffee in one corner fighting free radicals and reducing oxidative stress and inflammation. Healing your body at the cellular level, which is ESSENTIAL for weight loss. It’s motivating you to hit the gym (or trail), boosting your performance, and helping your body blast fat. In the other corner is collagen–the most abundant protein in your body. And when it comes to collagen in your coffee, I’m talking about collagen protein powder (a.k.a. hydrolyzed collagen).
A big selling point for me is that these powders have no taste, no smell, and they dissolve completely in both hot and cold water. This is important because no one wants a gritty cup of coffee with a funky taste. Am I right? Equally as important to taste and texture, collagen protein powders are one of the richest sources of highly absorbable collagen peptides. And numerous studies have shown that these short chains of amino acids can strengthen existing collagen and promote the synthesis of new collagen fibers when consumed.
This is great news for your skin, hair, nails, joints, and bones. And while healthy joints and bones keep your body moving, the key amino acids in collagen (mainly glycine and proline) have many other amazing benefits.
Weight Loss Benefits of Glycine and Proline
Check out this impressive list of weight loss benefits that glycine and proline provide:
- Glycine promotes fat loss and helps to preserve muscle mass. One way in which this works is by stimulating the release of glucagon–a hormone that releases stored body fat to be used as fuel to make energy.
- Glycine has been shown to reduce local and systemic inflammation. This is important because inflammation is linked to every modern disease. And you can’t lose weight if your body is inflamed.
- Glycine protects and heals the lining of your gut. This is important because a sick gut is one of the leading causes of systemic inflammation.
- Glycine enhances insulin sensitivity, which makes it easier for your body to burn fat and reduces your risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes.
- Glycine regulates the secretion of human growth hormone (HGH), which also increases your body’s ability to burn fat. HGH also helps sculpt lean muscle. And the more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll burn.
- Both glycine and proline fight against oxidative stress.
Studies have also shown that obese individuals have lower levels of glycine circulating in their bloodstream than normal weight adults.
Collagen Coffee is Born
The evidence is clear. Both coffee and collagen are weight loss super heroes. When combined, it’s like a double shot of fat burning power. Collagen coffee is an easy AND delicious way to reduce inflammation, boost your exercise performance, and shed excess pounds among many other things. And for added convenience, you’ll love my new Collagen Coffee. It’s made with 100% Brazilian coffee and a dose of grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen. It’s smooth and delicious. Simply add hot water and go!
Keep thinking Big and living BOLD!