Five Reasons to Love Grapefruit
- It boosts your metabolism. Grapefruit contains a compound called nootkatone, which can stimulate your metabolism and ramp up weight loss. In fact, research reveals that merely smelling grapefruit may help you burn off more fat! How cool is that?
- It’s high in fiber. Grapefruit keeps you feeling full, so it’s easier to fight cravings—and all that fiber helps you banish bloat.
- It’s rich in vitamin C. This vitamin plays a key role in forming wrinkle-blasting collagen, and it also helps you fight off winter colds and flu.
- It helps “take out the trash.” Grapefruit is brimming with limonoids, which help your body get rid of toxins.
- It fights blood sugar spikes. Grapefruit is rich in a compound called naringin, which has remarkable blood sugar-lowering effects. In fact, one study found that it lowers blood glucose as effectively as the diabetes drug metformin!
- Robitussin DM
- Glyburide (Micronase, Diabeta)
If you get the thumbs-up, then add grapefruit to your diet at least once or twice a week. I like to put grapefruit in salads, make a vinaigrette with grapefruit juice, or freeze the juice in ice cube trays and toss the cubes into sparkling water. It’s great in cocktails, too; here’s one of my party favorites from my brand-new book, The 10-Day Belly Slimdown. Enjoy!
TEQUILA GRAPEFRUIT FIZZ
Prep Time: 5 MIN. | Yield: 1 SERVING
- Celtic or pink Himalayan salt (optional)
- Grapefruit, lemon, or lime wedge (optional)
- 1 1/ 2 ounces tequila
- 1/ 4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 slice jalapeño
- Lemon, lime, or grapefruit sparkling water or seltzer
- Lemon or lime wedge, for garnish (optional)
If desired, spread a good amount of salt evenly on a small plate. Rub the grapefruit, lemon, or lime wedge around the rim of a martini glass and dip the rim in the salt to coat the edge of the glass. Set aside. Fill a cocktail shaker half full with ice. Add the tequila, grapefruit juice, and jalapeño slice. Cover, shake, and strain into the prepared martini glass. Top with sparkling water. Garnish with a lemon or lime wedge, if desired.