How to Make the Perfect Collagen Shake
As a weight-loss expert, I know that some of the most powerful weight-loss strategies are the simplest ones. And here’s one of my favorites: Swap out a meal for a shake each day. This is a quick and easy swap to make, and it’s pure weight-loss magic. In fact, it’s a cornerstone of my new 10-Day Belly Slimdown plan. The key to this swap is to be smart about what you put in your collagen shake recipes.
The biggest mistake people make is to add a big dose of fruit, loading their shakes with carbs and calories. That’s a prescription for weight gain, not weight loss. Another misstep is to go low-fat or fat-free. Your body needs healthy fats to burn fat, as well as to absorb nutrients that keep your metabolism humming. What’s more, cutting down too far on fats leads to cravings, which in turn lead to more belly pounds.
Luckily, it’s easy to tweak your collagen shake recipe to turn it into a super fat-burner. Here are the ingredients I use to make the perfect, belly-fat-blasting shake:
Collagen powder. This heals your GI tract and makes a leaky gut rock-solid, lowering the inflammation that makes you fat and sick. (Bonus: It also erases wrinkles and helps to heal aching joints!)
A healthy fat.
You can use any one of these:
- One tablespoon of coconut oil, avocado oil, walnut oil, or almond butter
- One-third to one-half can of full-fat coconut milk
- One-quarter to one-half of an avocado
- Eight ounces carrageenan-free almond milk
- One closed handful of coconut chips
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds, 2 tablespoons hemp seeds, or 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
These are lower in sugar than most fruits, and they’re packed with fat-burning, skin-firming nutrients. Stick to a single closed handful.
Green, leafy veggies.
My favorite is spinach, which is tasteless and adds a big boost of nutrition. Kale, watercress, and Swiss chard work well, too.
Herbs and spices. Spices like turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, and cumin can take your fat-burning to a higher level. Parsley, basil, and other herbs add a hefty dose of phytonutrients.
Monk fruit sweetener or Stevia (optional).
These are great choices if you want a little extra shot of sweetness—and the mogrosides in monk fruit may help lower blood glucose, improve blood lipids, and reduce oxidative stress (damage to cells caused by free radicals).
Add these superfoods to your collagen protein shakes, and they’ll turbo-charge your weight loss and make you younger and healthier all over. To get you started on your slimming shake swap-out, here’s a recipe from my new book, The 10-Day Belly Slimdown.
“HOT” CHOCOLATE SHAKEPREP TIME: 3 MIN. | YIELD: 1 SERVING
- 1 cup water or unsweetened coconut milk (not canned)
- 1 packet Chocolate Collagen Shake™
- Pinch or two of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of chili powder (optional)
- 2 handfuls of leafy greens (watercress, kale, spinach, Swiss chard, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Ice (optional; add to blender or pour shake over ice)
- Monk fruit sweetener or stevia for additional sweetness (optional)