Sweet Potato Casserole
Indulge in the rich flavors of our Sweet Potato Casserole, a harmonious blend of smooth mashed sweet potatoes with a sweet and nutty layer of coconut sugar, almond flour, and chopped pecans. Enhanced with ghee, almond milk, and a hint of cinnamon, this delightful dish offers a healthier twist on a classic favorite, perfect for gatherings or family dinners.
For the mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes cleaned (about 3-4 sweet potatoes)
- 4 tablespoons ghee melted
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Celtic or pink salt
For the topping
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks, then boil them in a large pot with enough water to cover them for 10 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes.
- Add the boiled potatoes to a large bowl and mash with a fork or masher. Add the ghee, almond milk, coconut sugar, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla, and salt, and mash with a potato masher or spoon. You can also use a hand mixer.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with avocado oil spray, and transfer mashed sweet potatoes and smooth them out evenly using a spatula.
- In another bowl, combine coconut sugar, almond flour, cinnamon, salt, ghee, and chopped pecans. Mix together with a fork, and sprinkle over the top of the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake the casserole for 25-30 minutes, until heated or until the topping begins to brown.
- Remove the potato casserole from the oven and serve immediately.