The Benefits of Bone Broth and Why You Should Consume it Daily
If you follow my blog, you already know a lot about the amazing things bone broth can do for you. However, you might you might not be aware of ALL the benefits of this incredible Superfood. So today, I want to let you in on the top ten benefits of bone broth.
Here they are:
1. Bone broth beautifies your skin.
Bone broth is loaded with the building blocks of collagen, which is the structural protein that makes your skin strong and smooth. In addition, it’s rich in hyaluronic acid, which is an ingredient of many high-end wrinkle creams. As a result, it erases wrinkles and takes years off your face. But don’t just take my word for it—take the word of Hollywood celebrities whose careers depend on having young, gorgeous skin! Laura Prepon from Orange Is the New Black calls it “the Fountain of Youth.” Salma Hayek calls it the “Botox Alternative.” Gwyneth Paltrow swears by it, and Shailene Woodley says it’s “everything.”
2. Bone broth heals your gut—the key to fast weight loss and a healthier immune system.
These days, we know that weight gain and many age-related diseases start with chronic inflammation—and this inflammation starts in your gut. More specifically, it starts in your gut’s microbiome, an ecosystem containing trillions of “gut bugs” that play a crucial role in everything from your metabolism to your immune function. Here’s how chronic inflammation occurs:
- Environmental insults—for instance, stress, antibiotic use, toxins, or a poor diet—throw your gut bacteria out of whack, allowing bad bugs to gain a foothold and cause inflammation.
- This inflammation damages the wall of your intestine, causing little holes to open up in it. (We call this a leaky gut.)
- Toxins and undigested food molecules escape through these holes into your bloodstream, where your immune system labels them as enemies and goes on the attack. Unfortunately, this attack damages your own cells, in a case of “friendly fire.”
- This non-stop attack leads to chronic, system-wide inflammation. I compare this to a forest fire that never goes out. Your body responds to this inflammation by becoming fat, sick, and old.
How does bone broth help to heal your gut and chronic inflammation? It’s loaded with gelatin, which is basically cooked collagen. This gelatin soothes and heals your gut, helping to make it rock-solid again. (I like to compare this to rubbing aloe vera on a sunburn.) In addition, bone broth is rich in glycine, an amino acid with powerful anti-inflammatory effects.
So bone broth helps you quench that internal fire—and when that happens, you can lose extra pounds quickly and easily. In fact, a rock-solid gut is THE biggest key to losing weight (especially that belly fat). And here’s something else you should know: 80 percent of your immune system is in your gut. In fact, we now know that your gut bugs play a crucial role in modulating your immune system. When you heal your gut, you allow this system to do its job optimally, and you help prevent immune over-reactions.
As a result, you’ll get fewer infections, and you’ll gain greater control over autoimmune problems. Even skin problems like rosacea and eczema will start to clear up.
3. Bone broth quells your cravings—another weight-loss bonus! Unlike that watery broth in a can, bone broth is rich and satisfying. Because it’s loaded with amino acids and minerals like magnesium and phosphorus, as well as healthy fatty acids and iron from the bone marrow, it feeds your body deep nutrition that keeps hunger at bay for hours.
Better yet, it’s nearly carb-free, and has only a few calories. And you can make it even more filling by adding non-starchy veggies like spinach, kale, or Romaine. So when cravings strike, a mid-morning or mid-day snack of bone broth can keep you from reaching for that doughnut or bagel. And if you want to lose weight quickly, bone broth mini-fasts are a painless and incredibly effective way to do it.
4. Bone broth heals your joints. Bone broth is loaded with glucosamine and chondroitin—the same nutrients that many doctors prescribe to ease joint pain. One study, in fact, found that glucosamine and chondroitin had as much effect on knee osteoarthritis as the prescription drug Celebrex! (And unlike Celebrex, these nutrients are entirely safe.) In addition, that hyaluronic acid I mentioned earlier doesn’t just smooth your skin; it also helps to lubricate your joints, keeping them healthy and pain-free.
5. Bone broth cleans out toxins. We live in a dirty world, where we’re constantly bombarded by everything from smog to pesticides to second-hand smoke—and as a result, our bodies have to work hard to “take out the trash.” As I mentioned earlier, bone broth is packed with glycine, and glycine plays a direct role in this detoxification process. In addition, glycine is a building block of glutathione, one of the body’s most powerful detoxifying agents.
6. Bone broth helps fight cellulite. As you age, you lose firm muscle mass and replace it with jiggly fat. In addition, your skin loses collagen, so it can’t rein in your fat as tightly as it once did. The result: those cottage-cheese thighs you hate. How can you fight cellulite? By combining muscle-building exercise with bone broth. Those same collagen building blocks that erase your wrinkles will also strengthen the skin on your butt and thighs, keeping them firmer and smoother.
7. Bone broth makes your hair and nails strong and beautiful. Your grandma is right: If you want beautiful fingernails and shiny hair, gelatin is the answer! What’s more, research backs her up. One two-part study, for instance, concluded, “The most dramatic effect of supplementing the normal diet with 14 grams of gelatin daily was an increase in hair diameter averaging 9.3% in the first study and 11.3% in the second study. Approximately seventy percent of the subjects in both studies showed increases in hair diameter ranging from 5% to 45%.” Similarly, research shows that gelatin can make your nails stronger and improve defects.
8. Bone broth helps relieve anxiety. If you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks, it’s smart to add bone broth to your diet. The glycine it contains can lower anxiety, apparently by countering the effects of norepinephrine. In addition, bone broth is an excellent source of magnesium, which has powerful calming effects.
9. Bone broth can help you get over a cold. Research shows that chicken soup helps fight the inflammation that makes you miserable when you have a cold, by inhibiting the movement of cells called neutrophils. One important note: It appears that it’s not just the broth in the soup, but the combination of broth and other ingredients such as onions, carrots, celery, and spices. So if you’re coming down with a cold, load up your bone broth with plenty of veggies and spices for extra sniffle-fighting power!
10. Bone broth helps you sleep better. Are you troubled by insomnia—or do you toss and turn, waking up feeling tired and blah? Then try a mug of bone broth before bedtime. The glycine in it can help you sleep better and awaken more refreshed. — I don’t know about you, but I think that’s a pretty remarkable list of powers for such a simple food! While bone broth may not be fancy, it packs a mighty punch when it comes to health, youthfulness, and beauty. And you know what?
Bone broth is incredibly versatile, too. It tastes great straight from the mug, but you can also use it in lots of other ways—for instance:
- It makes chili, pot roast, and stews hearty and delicious.
- It adds a new depth of flavor to veggie dishes.
- It’s a wonderful addition to green smoothies.
- It makes a fantastic mixer for cocktails. (Check out my free ebook for recipes.)
As you can see, bone broth is nothing short of amazing. So don’t be fooled by its humble appearance; like Superman in his Clark Kent glasses, or Peter Parker without his Spider-Man suit, it’s a true super-hero in disguise!
Keep thinking Big and living BOLD!