The Ins and Outs of Green Drinks
Going green with low-sugar drinks like veggie juice and smoothies has a long list of benefits that can keep your body healthy, fit, and energized. Greens are packed full of phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals that help guard your skin against sun damage, lower your risk of certain cancers, and promote strong bone health — and these are just a few of the benefits. Just wait till I really get started!
Why Green Drinks?
So why consider stepping up your greens? When I tell you about the endless benefits greens have to offer your body, you’ll be digging out your old blender and shopping for a juicer before you finish reading! And the best part is, you can add them into any of your bone broth diet recipes!
Greens provide an abundance of vitamins and nutrients while offering a tremendous amount of health benefits. They provide your body antioxidants needed to help boost your immune system and fight off diseases, bacteria, and various illness. You know how big I am on a happy gut. I can’t say enough about the benefits of my bone broth diet. So, if I’m raving about greens, you know I mean business. There’s so much they have to offer like improving your digestion and assisting in detoxing your body. Greens are an excellent way to cleanse and reset your systems. Adding a green drink regimen even offers muscle toning, weight loss, and weight maintenance bonuses. That’s a pretty impressive list for a few fruits and veggies in a blender, right?
Where Do I Begin with Green Drinks?
So what greens are the best to use in your green drinks? How do you choose the healthiest ingredients that will produce low-sugar drinks? Let’s take a look at some of my favorite recommendations:
- Kale may be one of those foods your taste buds have to learn to love, but you just can't deny the reasons your body will love it. It’s a superfood for good reason. Loaded with calcium, potassium, iron, protein, and more, you can't deny its healthy resume. Low in calories and fat while rich in vitamins A, C, and B6? YES, please! And if you haven’t been to my bone broth diet recipe section yet, you’re going to love the green soups you’ll find here.
- Spinach is always a great choice for any green drink you want to throw together. The soft, mild-flavored leaves of spinach hold a nutritional dose of protein, fiber, calcium, and vitamins A, B6, and C, to name a few. It can be easily found during all seasons and works well in any recipe; like one of my favorite bone broth diet soup recipes for Egg Drop Soup.
- Swiss Chard is one of the easiest greens to work with when making a green drink in your blender. Its soft leaves are packed with nutrients such as iron, calcium, and vitamins A, C, and K. And if you just can’t seem to get in the spirit of kale, you may love swiss chard’s ever-so-slightly salted taste.
- Arugula isn’t just for salads anymore. It makes a fantastic addition to your healthy low-sugar drinks. You can even substitute it for spinach when you want to mix up those ingredients in your smoothie cleanse now and then. It’s high in nutrients, including fiber, calcium, beta-carotene, and protein, and is a nutritious option for your green drink recipes.
- Celery. Yum. No matter what you pair with it, it’s always a refreshing choice. That’s why it should be no surprise that it's on my healthy and favorite list of greens. Celery can help regulate the alkaline balance of your body and support good digestion. It can also reduce inflammation. But what you may not have known about is its soothing properties. Celery can have a calming effect on your nervous system. Yep, you read that right. So, the next time you’re feeling a bit stressed out, toss a few stalks in the blender and whip up a new celery smoothie cleanse concoction. It’s a refreshing way to cleanse and reset. Here’s a delicious suggestion to help kick off your green drink collection:
Cucumber Celery Green Juice
A refreshing, low-sugar drink to try while detoxing is my Cucumber Celery Green Juice. While best on an empty stomach so your body can take full advantage of nutrient absorption, it’s yummy enough for any time of day.
Prep time: 5 min | Serving size: 1-2
- 1 apple, halved
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 2 cucumbers
- 10 stalks of celery
- 5 kale leaves
Directions: Use your juicer for all your ingredients, then serve and drink immediately.
- Broccoli is always a great choice when it comes to adding healthy greens to your daily diet. But whipping up a delicious green drink? Not always one to be chosen for the smoothie list, is it? It’s a shame too, because broccoli is loaded with fiber and vitamins A, C, and K. So, here are a few helpful tips to trying it out in your next smoothie recipe:
- Don’t use more than one cup of broccoli – your blender will thank you for it.
- Off-set the slight bitterness of your broccoli by choosing a few bold fruits to level the playing field. I’m betting you’ll be pleasantly surprised and even come up with a few new green drink recipes to share with me! For now, here’s one to get you started:
The Whole 8 Green Broccoli Smoothie
Prep time: 5-8 minutes
- 1 cup of broccoli florets
- 1 banana (frozen suggested)
- 1 apple
- 1/3 cup of pineapple (frozen suggested)
- ½ cup of almond milk
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 2 tsp honey (if desired)
- A dash of vanilla extract (if desired)
Directions: Use a powerful blender or divide up your cup of florets when blending. Combine your ingredients and blend until smooth. You may choose to add in more almond milk to blend to your preferred consistency. Add in the honey and/or vanilla if your broccoli smoothie is still a bit too bitter for your liking. Just remember, creating a low-sugar drink is always the healthiest route to take.
The Powers of Fiber
Fiber is just one of the many can’t-argue-with reasons to get on board with greens. Let’s take a look at a few undeniable fiber facts:
- The amount of fiber in greens is what helps keep you feeling full and satisfied. If your stomach is full, you're not likely to sit and snack or get cravings for unhealthy treats. So, don’t be shy and pile those greens on your plate or in a green drink whenever you can!
- Fiber helps regulate your cholesterol.
- Fiber keeps you regular.
- It can reduce the amount of blood sugar highs and lows you experience.
- Fiber supports a healthy digestive system.
The Amazing Green Tea
Green tea offers many incredible health benefits; most of which are similar to the health benefits the bone broth diet offers. It is rich in polyphenols; known for their inflammation reduction and ability to fight off cancer. It has roughly eight to ten times the amount that you'll find in your fruits and veggies. Green tea also contains catechin; natural antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage. Together, they bring you benefits such as:
- Slowing down the signs of aging.
- Helps protect against various diseases.
- Helps protect against free radicals.
- Guards molecules and cells against damage.
- Supports brain health — studies have shown reduced risks of Alzheimer’s.
- Helps keep your tummy slimmed down by burning fat.
- EGCG can reduce your risk of cancers such as:
Have you heard that green tea can help you improve your dental hygiene too? This super green drink can kill off bacteria that can lead to bad breath, cavities, and even plaque build-up. Pretty powerful, right? And speaking of power, you'll have a nice boost of energy without the added caffeine or sugar! It’s the perfect drink to pair with your bone broth diet or any meal plan you may be considering to cleanse and reset your body. .
Now if you’re looking to get a bit creative with your low-sugar drinks, try out this delicious green tea with a twist:
Turmeric Green Tea Smoothie
A fabulous vegan and gluten-free low-sugar drink to try is the Turmeric Green Tea Smoothie. Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, so this nutritious drink is both healing and refreshing.
Prep time: 5 min | Serving size: 1
- ½ tsp of matcha green tea powder
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 dates, pitted
- 7-10 ice cubes (this will depend on your preferred thickness)
Directions: Place all of your ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
Don’t forget to add in a little protein when your green drink recipes may fall short of a beneficial amount. Although some of you may feel a drink high in protein will cause you to bulk up or pack on more weight, there’s more to it. If you’re switching to a meal replacement plan, you’ll want to ensure you’re still getting a sufficient amount of protein in your smoothies or low-sugar drinks of choice. Following my bone broth diet will ensure you’re getting your needed protein, but if not, then consider adding it to your drinks. Protein helps your body heal, curbs your cravings, and even works to boost your metabolism. And if you’re looking to add a bit of extra flavor while keeping it a low-sugar drink, try a scoop of my Bone Broth Protein Powder in Chocolate or Vanilla. It’s perfect for adding a touch of sweetness to any smoothie cleanse or bone broth diet drink recipe. You won’t have to worry about artificial sugars, grains, or gluten. Here’s an example of one of my favorite recipes using my vanilla flavored protein powder:
The Green Goddess Shake
Prep time: 2 min
Serving size: 1
You'll fulfill one serving of protein, one serving of vegetables, and one serving of fat in this easy to make green drink.
- 1 scoop of vanilla Bone Broth Protein
- 1 cup of almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup of tightly packed spinach
- ½ avocado
- ¼ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed, optional
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, optional
Directions: Place all of your ingredients into your blender and blend until you’ve reached a smooth and creamy texture. You may also choose to blend in a handful of ice cubes. That’s all there is to it!
Why are Greens Good for Skin?
Greens are a great way to improve the health and appearance of your skin as well. Looking to get that youthful glow back? Adding green drinks to your bone broth diet regimen means adding extra antioxidants to your body. And if you’ve been around for all my collagen tips, you know that antioxidants help reduce the visible signs of aging. With hydrated skin, and green superfoods working towards slowing the signs of aging, you’ll begin to notice fewer fine lines and wrinkles in the mirror.
These potent little drinks even help reduce acne. Think about it – low-sugar drinks, rich in vitamin C, and other various minerals and nutrients. You'll see fewer blemishes, reduced scarring, and the return of that radiant glow. I bet some of you are already racking your brain trying to remember where you stored your juicer, aren't you? Well, it won't be collecting dust once you begin to see the effects going green can have on your skin. You'll be wondering why you didn't start your green drink lifestyle sooner! With the added benefits of the bone broth diet, your skin will be the envy of others!
Skin Tonic Juice
Grab your juicer and get ready for another wonderful green drink option. This tasty drink is the Skin Tonic Juice. It’s so easy to prepare; a low-sugar drink with several bold and refreshing flavors as well as hydrating, skin-toning benefits.
Prep time: 5 min | Serving size: 1
- ½ a lemon
- 1 cucumber
- ½ a mango
- 1 cup of spinach, kale, or purslane
- 1 handful of cilantro
Directions: You’ll want to put all your ingredients through your juicer and alternate between your leafy foods and hard foods.
Kiwi and Spinach Smoothie
Need help easing into the whole go green veggie routine? You can still make healthy choices even by utilizing more fruits than veggies in your green drinks. As your palette adjusts, adjust your veggie to fruit ratio with it. Don’t be afraid to experiment and add a little extra in the garnishing department too. Besides, you don’t want to get bored drinking the same few recipes every day. Just like the variety you find in my bone broth diet recipes, vary your green drink recipes too.
Try out this mouth-watering Kiwi Spinach Smoothie recipe:
Prep time: 5 min | Serving size: 1
- 1 kiwi, peeled and then cut into small chunks
- 1 banana, sliced into small rounds (recommended frozen)
- 1 cup of spinach, loosely packed
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp of chia seed
- 4-5 large ice cubes
Directions: Combine ingredients in your blender and mix until smooth. Garnish with your favorite fruit or chia seeds.
What do you think? Are green drinks and low-sugar drinks all they’re hyped up to be? I’d say the pros are definitely in favor of going green, wouldn’t you? From healing properties to preventative benefits, creating a meal plan that includes routine health and beauty benefits so similar to the bone broth diet is a win-win no matter how you look at it. And I’ve got a challenge for you. How would you like to take your cleanse to the next level? I’m talking belly fat melting, collagen boosting, transform the way you feel cleanse in just five days? You’ll fuel your body with clean proteins, healthy fats, and won’t be bothered with cravings.
It’s a five-day restore and revitalize cleanse that I actually created for myself, giving me a boost to my mind, body, and spirits! When I was at a low point and my health was quickly declining, I knew I had to wake up and listen to my body. By developing a plan to cleanse and reset, I noticed a change after the very first day. I began to feel better, look better, and enjoy the little things again.
The cleanse and reset plan had turned it all around. Learn more in my new Cleanse and Reset book, where I will walk you through your own transformation. Equipped with the knowledge and tools you’ll need, this five-day plan will change your life and have you feeling like you again!
Keep thinking Big and living BOLD!