Prep time: 5 min • Cook time: 4 to 8 hr • Yield: Six 1-cup servings
- 4-pound roasting chicken
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onions
- ¼ cup roughly chopped celery
- ¼ cup roughly chopped carrots
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry. Place it in the slow cooker with the onions, celery, carrots, rosemary and season with the salt and pepper.
- Fill the slow cooker about two-thirds full with water (just enough to cover the carcass and bones, about 6 cups).
- Cook on low for 4 to 8 hours.
- As it cooks, after about 2 to 3 hours, you can remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and refrigerate or freeze the chicken for future use.
- Before using the bone broth, strain and discard the bones, skin, cooked vegetables, and rosemary.