Cream of Wild Mushroom Soup
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES • COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
Yield: Makes eight 1-cup Portions: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, wiped clean (about 2 cups)
- 9 ounces cremini mushrooms, wiped clean (about 3 cups), divided
- 6 ounces white mushrooms, wiped clean (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups Chicken Bone Broth or Beef Bone Broth
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the shiitakes, 6 ounces (about 2 cups) of the cremini, the white mushrooms, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook, stirring, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms give off their liquid and start to brown.
Add the broth and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.
Remove from the heat. Add the coconut milk and the remaining 3 ounces cremini mushrooms. Puree with a handheld immersion blender or in batches in a food processor or blender. Return to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.
Substitute additional cremini mushrooms if shiitake mushrooms are not available.