Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 8– 10 hr • Yield: 8 servings
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and blotted dry
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Three 14.5-ounce cans sauerkraut
- Cut the pork shoulder into 3- to 4-inch chunks and season generously with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add coconut oil.
- When oil is melted, add the pork, browning on all sides. You’ll probably need to cook the pork in two batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. Transfer pork to the slow cooker.
- In the same pan, cook the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer the onions and garlic to the slow cooker. Add the bay leaf.
- Place the sauerkraut in a colander and rinse with cold water. Squeeze out excess moisture and pile the sauerkraut on top of the pork. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the pork is fork tender, about 8 to 10 hours.