Broth Loading Chilled Cucumber Soup
I’m obsessed with cucumbers. Because they contribute to good health and keep you slim. Plus, they work miracles when it comes to your skin. What more could you ask for?!
Cucumbers are excellent for hydration...
When it comes to your skin, dehydration causes fine lines and wrinkles to appear. Plus, your skin becomes dull, feels dry and tight, and is easily irritated. Ugh! This is why I always stress the importance of hydration. And because cucumbers are made up of approximately 95% water, eating them is a delicious way to keep your cells hydrated and your skin plump and juicy. Especially during warm summer months.
Cucumbers are packed with antioxidants...
Antioxidants are necessary to protect your cells from free radicals. Some antioxidants can also repair cellular damage, prevent free radicals from being formed from certain toxins, and even prevent cancerous cells from growing. Essentially, antioxidants are the key to optimal health as well as slowing down the aging process–inside and out. And the antioxidants in cucumbers specifically have been linked to reducing inflammation, preventing cancer, and improving heart health. Yes, please!
Cucumbers are anti-bloating...
Cucumbers can help rid your belly of bloating. Thanks to a synergistic combination of caffeic acid, vitamin C, silica, and water. Cucumbers contain a variety of other vitamins and minerals that also promote optimal health and beautiful skin. Some of the them include:
- Vitamin K: essential for forming blood clots as well as strong bones
- Pantothenic acid: a B-vitamin involved in producing energy as well as burning fat
- Biotin: a B-vitamin that helps produce natural oils in your skin to keep it soft and moist
- Potassium: an electrolyte that regulates blood pressure and maintains good kidney function
- Magnesium: a mineral necessary for over 300 vital functions in the body as well as youthful skin
- Silica: a mineral that helps build strong teeth, bones, nails, and hair --- With all the benefits of cucumbers you'll want to look for more way to add them to your diet, and a chilled cucumber soup with collagen-rich bone broth is the perfect way recipe for summertime!
Broth Loading Chilled Cucumber SoupPrep Time: 15 Min – Cook Time: 12 Min- Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup water
- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon Celtic or Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups ( 1 quart) Chicken Bone Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder, blended with one teaspoon of water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk, not vanilla flavored
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cucumbers, onion, salt and pepper, and cover. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are very soft. Puree using a food processor, blender or immersion blender until smooth. Bring bone broth to a simmer and add the arrowroot powder, bay leaf, and pureed cucumbers. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring until soup thickens. Cool soup to room temperature and add the almond milk and fresh herbs. Refrigerate. Serve the soup very cold.
NOTE: Use caution when pureeing soup in a blender or food processor. Work in small batches and cover the top of the sealed blender or processor with a kitchen towel to avoid getting burned.