Classic Cole Slaw
Prep time: 15 min • Yield: 4 servings
- ⅔ cup Homemade Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons grated red onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon honey (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 head green cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- ½ cup loosely packed parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Homemade Mayonnaise, red onion, lemon juice, vinegar, honey (if desired), salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, and parsley with two wooden spoons. Add the dressing and toss vigorously for 2 minutes to ensure that the vegetables are evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
To cut the cabbage, slice in half through the stem end. Remove and discard the tough inner core, and then thinly slice the cabbage into long, thin shreds.
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of caraway seeds for a traditional German touch, or make it a little sweeter by adding 1 cup shredded canned pineapple (unsweetened, packed in its own juice) or ⅓ cup raisins. You can also replace the whole head of green cabbage with half a head of green and half a head of red for colorful variety.
This recipe is easy to double for a potluck or cut in half for a dinner-for-two serving. This slaw tastes better the second day, so make it in advance if time permits.