Prep time: 20 min • Yield: about 15 to 16 spider candies
- 1 ½ cup pitted Medjool dates
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (plus extras to make “eyes”) mini chocolate chips; Enjoy Life makes a dairy, nut, and soy free product
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, chilled
- About 6 soft licorice sticks for the “legs”
- 1 to 1 ½ cups toasted coconut if you want to make “hairy” spiders
- Mix dates and cacao in a food processor and blend well. Add chocolate chips and pulse to mix. Pinch off a piece of the dough to see if it sticks together well. If not, add a few drops of water until you can form a firm ball. Roll in to 1-inch balls.
- With a sharp knife, cut licorice into fine strips for the legs. Using a tooth pick, make 4 small holes on one side of the ball for the legs and use the toothpick to press them into one side of the candy. Repeat on the other side. Take a tiny bit of coconut butter to form two eye balls and stick onto candy. Insert a mini chocolate chip into each eye.
- Store in a cool place or in the refrigerator.