Southwest Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 60 min | Yield: 8 servings
Portions: 1 protein, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped, wear plastic gloves when handling
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups (2 quarts) Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for about 8 minutes, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Simmer for about 5 minutes and add the chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and oregano, stirring well to blend the seasonings.
Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Serve with 1 avocado, chopped, and 1/3 cup chopped cilantro as a garnish.
- No time to make your own bone broth? Grab some at your local Whole Foods Market or order online here.