Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Yield: 8 servings
Portions: 1 vegetable
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 medium eggplant, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) mushrooms, cut into thirds (2 or more cups)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil, cut into chiffonade ribbons
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
Cook the onion until soft. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, garlic, vinegar, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the basil and parsley, and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
The vegetables should be cut into about 3/4” pieces. As the flavors meld overnight, the ratatouille gets even better. Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.