Roast Turkey with Leeks and Apple
Prep time: 20 min • Cook time: 2 ½- 3 ½ hr • Yield: 6-8 servings
- 12 – 14 pound organic turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Poultry Spice Rub
- 2 large leek, chopped into large pieces
- 2 large carrot, chopped into large pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into large pieces
- 2 granny smith apple, cored and quartered
- ½ – 1 cup filtered water
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the giblet package from the chest cavity. The giblets can be used to make soup and gravy; Freeze any unused portions.
- Rinse the turkey under cold water.
- Trim the extra skin and fat from the turkey
- and discard.
- Dry the turkey inside and outside with a paper towels.
- Sprinkle the chest cavity of the turkey generously with salt.
- Rub the turkey with the olive oil; Coat all the skin surfaces.
- Rub the Poultry Spice Rub on all surfaces of the oiled turkey.
- Place the Leeks, carrots, green apple and celery in the chest cavity.
- Place the turkey in a large roasting pan, breast side up. Fold back the wings to create a perch for the turkey to sit on.
- Pour a ½ cup of water in the bottom of the pan and do not cover it at this time.
- Bake for 30 minutes. The turkey should have began to brown on top.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Add more water if needed, the pan should not be dry.
- Place a lid or foil on the turkey and continue cooking for 2 – 3 hours.
- 10 minutes before the turkey is finished cooking remove the lid so it can continue browning.
- The turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the leg or thigh registers 165 degrees.
- Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour off and save the pan drippings for the gravy and to make soup.
Recipe Courtesy of Celia Fern