Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 15 min • Yield: 2 servings
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small Italian eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup carrot rings
- ½ cup sliced onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Balsamic vinegar, to taste
- Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Set aside.
- Combine vegetables in a bowl with oil. Toss well. Spread the vegetables on the baking sheet. Roast the vegetables for 10-minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use lettuce leaves as "bread" to make those sandwiches and top the vegetables and top with a spoonful of coconut cream.
To convert this into a salad, serve the vegetables over a bed of greens or chop the Romaine lettuce and add 1 cup fresh diced tomatoes or grape or cherry tomatoes. Coconut cream is similar to milk, but is much thicker, with a creamy consistency. Unshaken, full-fat, coconut milk will collect a couple of inches of "cream" on the top. If you can find coconut cream, use coconut milk.
To whip coconut milk to a whipped cream consistency, chill an unopened can of coconut milk for 8 or more hours. Chill a glass or metal mixing bowl in the freezer for one or more hours. Carefully open the can of coconut milk (or cream) and spoon the thick cream that has collected on top and transfer to the chilled bowl. Whip the "cream" with an electric mixer until fluffily, like whipped cream.
If you'd like your whipped coconut "cream" sweet, add a bit of coconut sugar near the end of the whipping.