Braised Mushrooms and Veal
Prep time: 15 min • Cook time: 30 min • Yield: 2 servings
- Olive oil
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 8 ounces veal scaloppini
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 sliced cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, any variety
- 1 cup fat free chicken or beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 spring fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
- 1 bay leaf
- Pat the veal skin dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add to the pan and cook the veal until lightly colored. Turn the pieces over and brown it on the other side. Remove the veal to a dish and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened. Add the mushrooms, and sauté for 3- to 4-minutes or until they release their juices. Add the broth, parsley flakes, tomato paste, thme and bay leaf to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5-minutes more.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste in the sauce. Add the veal and heat through, about 2-minutes more. Serve the veal with the sauce spooned over.